MRI Case 17
57 y/o F presents for diagnostic MRI to evaluate implant integrity. What is notable on imaging?
EXTRACAPSULAR SILICONE IMPLANT RUPTURE
- Intracapsular rupture is a precursor
- Disruption of the fibrous capsule with silicone infiltrating the surrounding breast parenchyma
- MRI can be useful in determining extent and location of silicone migration
- Free silicone will mirror the signal intensity of the silicone found within the implant
- Mammo: High density material within the breast and lymph nodes (silicone lymphadenopathy)
- Gel bleed does not indicate rupture
- US: “Snowstorm sign”
Related Radiology Article: Seiler SJ, Sharma PB, Hayes JC, Ganti R, Mootz AR, Eads ED, Teotia SS, Evans WP. Multimodality imaging-based evaluation of single-lumen silicone breast implants for rupture. Radiographics. 2017 Mar;37(2):366-82.