MRI Case 30
What MRI artifact is shown and how can it be fixed?
- Ferromagnetic metals cause severe inhomogeneity in the magnetic field
- Nonferromagnetic metals can also result in local signal intensity voids in the vicinity
- May lead to image distortion – impacted by object shape and composition
- Susceptibility greater at higher field strengths
- If extensive, may be difficult to assess recurrence at the lumpectomy site
- Remove all metallic objects if possible
- Choose titanium markers over stainless steel
Related Radiology Article: Harvey JA, Hendrick RE, Coll JM, Nicholson BT, Burkholder BT, Cohen MA. Breast MR imaging artifacts: how to recognize and fix them. Radiographics. 2007 Oct;27(suppl_1):S131-45.