MRI Case 1
59 y/o F presents for diagnostic MRI to evaluate implant integrity. What is the most likely diagnosis?
INTRACAPSULAR SILICONE IMPLANT RUPTURE
- Shell of the implant ruptures but fibrous capsule intact
- Mammo: typically normal appearance
- Breast MRI most sensitive for detection of implant integrity; H2O suppressed STIR
- “Keyhole/teardrop” sign – uncollapsed
- “Subcapsular line” sign – minimally collapsed
- “Linguine” sign – fully collapsed
- Median time to rupture ~10 years, ↑↑↑ with time
Related Radiology Article: Seiler SJ, Sharma PB, Hayes JC, Ganti R, Mootz AR, Eads ED, Teotia SS, Evans WP. Multimodality imaging-based evaluation of single-lumen silicone breast implants for rupture. Radiographics. 2017 Mar;37(2):366-82.