MRI Case 18
60 y/o F presents for diagnostic MRI to determine extent of disease. What is the most likely cancer subtype?
- IDC subtype; ~2% of breast cancers
- Older women
- Mucin within and surrounding cancer cells
- Typically circumscribed on mammo
- Breast MRI high signal on T2-weighted imaging (due to H20 component in mucin)
- Good prognosis/survival rate
- Less likely to metastasize
Related Radiology Article: Bitencourt AG, Graziano L, Osório CA, Guatelli CS, Souza JA, Mendonça MH, Marques EF. MRI Features of Mucinous Cancer of the Breast: Correlation With Pathologic Findings and Other Imaging Methods. AJR. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2016 Feb 1;206(2):238-46.