MRI Case 10
27 y/o F presents for diagnostic MRI for further evaluation of left breast skin lesion and a family history of breast cancer. What is the finding shown?
- Rare soft-tissue neoplasm in the sarcoma spectrum, especially in the breast (extremities/trunk most common sites)
- Irregular reddish-brown or bluish superficial nodule
- Mammo: circumscribed round/oval mass, typically adjacent to the skin
- US: broad-based against the dermis or lying subQ without visible connection to the skin; heterogeneous echogenicity and moderate vascular flow
- Great prognosis after resection if margins are negative; mets uncommon
Related Radiology Article:
Lee SJ, Mahoney MC, Shaughnessy E. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the breast: imaging features and review of the literature. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2009 Jul;193(1):W64-9.
Torreggiani WC, Al-Ismail K, Munk PL, Nicolaou S, O’Connell JX, Knowling MA. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: MR imaging features. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2002 Apr;178(4):989-93.