MRI Case 9
52 y/o F presents for diagnostic MRI. What is the diagnosis of the left breast finding?
SEROMA (POSTOPERATIVE COLLECTION)
- Can be simple or complicated
- Bright on T1-weighted imaging due to blood products
- Fat-fluid level may be present
- Thin peripheral enhancement around the cavity may be present, characteristically a benign finding
- Nodularity or thick rim could suggest positive margins or recurrence
Related Radiology Article: Drukteinis JS, Gombos EC, Raza S, Chikarmane SA, Swami A, Birdwell RL. MR imaging assessment of the breast after breast conservation therapy: distinguishing benign from malignant lesions. Radiographics. 2012 Jan;32(1):219-34.